London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 1988-89--> All for 19010406
<-Page <-Team Sat 06 Apr 1901 Hearts 4 Celtic 3 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Scotsman ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Committee <-auth None auth-> AA Jackson
[William McOustra] ;[James Quinn] ;[Alexander McMahon 80]
1 of 001 Bill Porteous 16 ;Mark Bell 43 ;Charlie Thomson 60 ;Mark Bell 87 SC N

Hearts Scottish Cup Results







At Ibrox Park, Glasgow, on Saturday, the Heart of Mid-Lothian achieved a brilliant victory over the Celtic in the final tie of the Scottish Cup competition, and for the third time in their history attained possession of the national trophy.

The Hearts success was all the more gratifying that it followed upon a season of indifferent performances to which at times the element of bad luck contributed.

Their record in the Scottish League matches had been their poorest since the institution of that body, but just before the advent of the Cup ties the Tynecastle eleven showed evidence of recuperative powers, and when the series was entered upon they displayed form which marked them at once as a team not to be held lightly in regard by other aspirants to honours.

They disposed in quick succession of Mossend Swifts and Queens Park at Tynecastle; Port-Glasgow Athletic at Port-Glasgow; and the Hibernians (after a drawn game at Tynecastle) at Easter Road.

The Celtic on their part in the course of the ties defeated the Rangers and Kilmarnock at Parkhead.

The Celtic on their part in the course of the ties defeated the Rangers and Kilmarnock at Parkhead; Dundee at Dundee; and St.

Mirren at Parkhead.

The Celtic were Cup-holders in seasons 1891-92,1898-99, and 1899-1900, while the seasons in which the Hearts had carried off the honours were 1890-91 and 1895-96.

It was exceedingly unfortunate that in Glasgow on Saturday the weather was of the most disagreeable description.

Rain fell in torrents in the early forenoon, and it continued more or less wet the remainder of the day.

The club match of the season was therefore played under conditions the reverse of favourable, while between the weather and the charge made for admission the attendance was reduced to some 16,000, a number which looked exceedingly meagre within the Rangers enclosure which is said to be able to accommodate over 60,000.

The Heart of Mid-Lothian made no change on the team announced, but for Celtic Findlay, the outside left winger, was unable to play, and Quinn, a promising recruit, took his place.

The Celts were first out, but their reception was nothing to that accorded the Edinburgh team, who had apparently the sympathies of the majority of the crowd with them.


Losing the toss, the Hearts were compelled to kick off against a troublesome wind, and after the Celtic right wing had got the length of Baird, who cleared to mid-field, the Edinburgh team were the first to threaten real danger.

From a pass by Porteous Walker got away, and, making light of Orr's opposition, had an excellent opportunity of thus early opening his side's account.

He, however, delayed his shot too long, M'Arthur saving, though at the expense of a corner.

Porteous placed the ball so badly that nothing came of the minor concession.

For a time the Celts assumed the role of aggressors.

M'Mahon tested Philips with a shot that custodian had some difficulty in negotiating, while he also experienced some trouble in staving off an effort by Quinn which followed.

The Edinburgh team then took up the running, the clever combination of their right wing rather mystifying the opposition.

The ball was centred to Thomson, with whose parting shot no fault could be found, though M'Arthur managed to avert it.

Within a minute the game was transferred to the other end of the field, but a fruitless corner was all the reward the Celtic had.

Thanks to further grand work by their right wing and centre the Hearts were again conspicuous, and so well did they progress that it was quite the expected that happened as a result of the raid.

Walker passed forward to Thomson, who, within thirty-five yards of M'Arthur transferred to Porteous.

The outside right in a twinkling sent in a shot which M'Arthur handled merely to assist into the net.

The Celtic, waking up to the peril of their position, gave the opposing defence rather a warm time of it in the succeeding exchanges.

Fortunately, the Hearts' backs were in the best of form, and, the attack repulsed, Thomson, Walker and Porteous once more led a raid into Celtic territory, which did not terminate until the first named compelled M'Arthur to effect a brilliant save.

The scene of hostilities was again changed.

Kay being penalised just outside the twelve yards line, there seemed prospects of the Celtic equalising, when Kay himself transferred the ball to less dangerous quarters.

Following this the two incidents of note were shots by Porteous and Hogg but on neither occasion was M'Arthur caught napping.

The Hearts were so far more than value for their lead, but Allan, in tackling M'Mahon, perfectly fairly so far as could be seen from the press box, was so unfortunate as to bring down upon him the censure of the referee, who awarded a free kick.

This was splendidly placed by Battles right into the Hearts' goal mouth, and M'Oustra, who was lying handy, placed the teams on level terms by cleverly heading the ball into the net.

The Hearts set themselves strenuously to regain their lead, but, having all the best of the exchanges, were for a time unable to accomplish their purpose.

Ultimately Walker sent in a grand shot, which M'Arthur saved, but the latter fell in so doing.

Bell rushed in before the goalkeeper could get the ball away, and Davidson, trying to assist the custodian, proved of great service to the Hearts, as he unwittingly tipped the ball between the posts.

Half-time arrived with the score - Hearts, two goals; Celtic, one goal.


On resuming, Walker was conspicuous in a raid by the Hearts forwards, and a magnificent shot from him struck the cross-bar.

For a not inconsiderable time the Parkhead backs were sorely pestered by the attentions of the opposition, and a foul against Hogg brought welcome relief to them.

The Celtic worked up to the other end, where Russell very nearly brought about the downfall of the Hearts' goal, Philip saving with difficulty.

The Edinburgh forwards were within a minute back in the vicinity of M'Arthur, some exciting exchanges ending in Bell sending the ball past.

Again the aspect of matters underwent a sudden change, for the Celtic took up the running, and it was fortunate for the Tynecastle club that Hogg and Baird were in such excellent form, as repeatedly they were called upon to stop attacks by the Celtic right wing pair, M'Oustra and Divers.

The Hearts attacked, and Davidson stupidly headed over his own goal line, but nothing came of the corner.

Determined efforts by the Celtic to break through their opponents' defence followed.

Once it seemed as if nothing could avert a score, but somehow or other the ball was extricated from a cluster of the Parkhead forwards in front of the Hearts' goal.

As it proved, this put a period to the Glasgow team's pressure for the time being.

Walker took the "leather" up-field, made Loney, who attempted to stop him, look exceedingly foolish, and then passed to Thomson.

The centre shot straight at M'Arthur, who caught the ball, which, however, passed from his hands into the net.

In the comfortable position of a two-goal lead, the Hearts had, nevertheless, still to reckon with their opponents.

An injury to Kay necessitated Thomson's falling back to assist the halves, and for a time the Celtic had a little the best of the exchanges, the often the Edinbrugh forwards broke away, and were then always dangerous.

Ultimately Quinn, with a grand effort, reduced the Hearts' majority to one.

Their success naturally encouraged the Celtic to greater exertions, but they were called upon to defend a rather persistent attack by Walker and his comrades, and it was only after Battles with a mommoth kick relieved that the prospects began to brighten for the Parkhead players.

Again the penalising of one of the Hearts players indirectly led to success for the Celtic.

Battles took the kick, and drove the ball right into the goalmouth.

A corner was the immediate result, and from it M'Mahon headed the ball between the posts.

With less than ten minutes to go, and the teams on terms of equality, the excitement was intense, as for the briefest of spaces the Hearts' defence seemed in danger of being rushed.

It, however, proved staunch, and the Edinburgh team soon showed that they were not going to relinquish the grasp of the cup which their play entitled them to, and Walker once more proved himself the grandest forward on the field.

Taking the ball some thirty yards right through the opposition, he shot straight and true.

M'Arthur saved, but sent the "leather" to Bell, who tipped it over to Houston.

By the last named it was again sent towards the Celtic custodian who muddled his attempt to avert, and again the Hearts were one to the good.

Their retrieval of what seemed a lost position was hailed with the greatest oenthusiasm by the majority of the spectators.

Within two or three minutes the whistle terminated hostilities, and left the Heart of Mid-Lothian deserving victors in one of the grandest Scottish Cup finals that has ever been played.





Four goals.






.........Three goals.

Celtic.- M'Arthur; Davidson and Battles; Russell, Loney, and Orr; M'Oustra, Divers, Campbell, M'Mahon, and Quinn.

Heart of Mid-Lothian.- Philip; Allan and Baird; KayBuick, and Hogg; Porteous, Walker, Thomson, Houston, and Bell.

Referee- Mr. Jackson.




After the match the teams dined together at the Alexandra Hotel, Bath Street - Mr. A.


Kirkwood, president of the Scottish Football Association, in the chair.

In presenting the cup to the Heart of Mid-Lothian, the Chairman congratulated them on their magnificent display, remarking that no one in Glasgow grudged them their victory which was thoroughly well deserved.

The Hearts, with a large contingent of their followers, travelled to Edinburgh by special train, and arrived at the Waverley Station shortly before ten o'clock.

Waiting them at the station and outside was an enthusiastic crowd numbering several thousands.


Walker, the captain of the team, carrying the cup, was borne shoulder high from the station, and drove off to the University Hotel, which, it had been arranged, should be the rendezvous, the remainder of the team, with two bands playing, followed in a brake, which was accompanied by a great crowd of enthusiastic supporters of the Cup-holders.

Cheering was kept up all the way, and as the procession passed along the Bridges the band played "See the Conquering Hero Comes".

At the hotel a remarkable demonstration was witnessed, the spectators who packed the lower end of Chambers Street cheering themselves hoarse when the cup was displayed from one of the windows.

Treasurer Cranston delivered a brief address.

No one could, he said, be more proud than he was of the Hearts' achievement.

Now they had got the cup, he hoped they would stick to it.

Supper was afterwards served in the hotel, and the toasts of the team, its captain, Walker, and of the Heart of Mid-Lothian Committees were enthusiastically pledged.

Taken from the Scotsman

<-Page <-Team Sat 06 Apr 1901 Hearts 4 Celtic 3 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © 2004 |