London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 1994-95--> All for 19950220
<-Page <-Team Mon 20 Feb 1995 Hearts 4 Rangers 2 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Herald ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Tommy McLean <-auth James Traynor auth-> Willie Young
[B Laudrup 46] ;[G Durie 57]
2 of 002 Colin Miller 22 ;Dave McPherson 45 ;John Robertson 58 ;Kevin Thomas 89 SC H

Rangers pay a high price as Hearts go marching on Errors proveso costly toIbrox men


21 Feb 1995

Hearts 4, Rangers 2

DEFEAT could not be put down to the absence of Mark Hateley or Ally McCoist, or any other player for that matter.

Rangers lost because they were prone to error, especially in defence and in goal, and Hearts won through to the quarter-finals of the Tennents Scottish Cup because they were tougher and more resilient.

The Tynecastle side emerged triumphant from a fourth-round tie which was eventful if not brimming over with silky football.

Still, six goals in one game.

That should be enough even for the most grudging of critics.

Rangers have had to muddle through since the start of the season asking players to perform in all manner of positions, and they would not wish now to dwell too long on any the absences of any particular players -- Basile Bolie also was unavailable last night -- especially since their difficulties have not prevented them from dominating in the premier division.

The law of averages alone suggested Hearts were due a break against a team they had not beaten since August, 1991, and when the game began with Craig Moore swiping Alan McLaren's backward header, which had looped over the head of the advancing Ally Maxwell, that should have been a sign of confirmation.

This was not going to be Rangers' night despite a mighty effort at the start of the second half, which brought them back from the depths of despair.

They had been dumped down there after 22 minutes when Colin Miller, the former Rangers and Hamilton player, took a free kick awarded 22 yards from Maxwell's goal after Richard Gough had fouled another former Ibrox employee, David Hagen.

Miller's low shot was not the most powerful yet it beat the keeper at his right-hand post, the ball clipping the wood as it entered the net.

Maxwell was slow in reacting, and in fact dropped like a cadaver.

There was no life or urgency about his attempt to prevent Rangers from falling behind, and he was more obviously suspect when Dave McPherson, who has moved between Ibrox and Tynecastle like someone unable to make up his mind where to reside, headed in the second goal during time added on to the first half.

Gough played the ball back to Maxwell, who had time and space enough to place his clearance, but he decided to dribble the ball a few yards instead.

Then, for a reason known only to himself, he picked the ball up and conceded a free kick, which led to a corner for Hearts on their left.

Jim Bett lofted the ball over, the ball was headed, by Moore it seemed, towards his own goal, and McPherson lunged at the ball and headed into the net.

Rangers seemed determined to get the ball rolling again, and were back out for the second half a few minutes before Hearts reappeared, but a minute later Brian Laudrup had the ball in the net.

Charlie Miller played the ball to Gough, who had advanced to the edge of Hearts' box, and his cross was met perfectly by Gordon Durie.

The striker's header beat Craig Nelson's dive and appeared to be sailing into the net, but Laudrup stretched out a leg and made absolutely certain.

Rangers were given hope and two minutes later they were level.

Alex Cleland pushed the ball to Miller on the right, and his cross to the far post again was met by Durie, but this time he didn't need assistance as his header evaded Nelson's outstretched arm.

At that point most people would have expected Rangers to go on and finish the tie as Hearts looked dejected at having surrendered their lead, but they were given a break just when they needed one.

In 58 minutes Bett's shot was parried by Maxwell, and John Robertson was able to slide the loose ball into the empty net, sending his team's supporters into delirium for the third time.

Both sides made changes before in the time remaining, with Rangers taking off Robertson, who was injured, and sending on Ian Durrant, but the significant switch was made by Hearts, who took off their own Robertson and gave his place to Kevin Thomas.

The substitute scored two minutes from time after McPherson had gone on one of those loping runs of his.

Eventually and just when it looked as though he had run himself into trouble he released the ball to Thomas, who finished the contest with a low shot.

If Hearts, who had one player, Bett, booked, are looking for omens they will be delighted to recall that the last two times they met Rangers at Tynecastle in the cup -- 1968 and again in '86 -- they won both and went all the way to the final on both occasions.

They now meet Dundee United at Tynecastle in the quarter-finals, and it would be unwise to bet against them moving closer to another final.

As for Rangers, they can now concentrate exclusively on winning their seventh successive premier-division championship by a record margin, yet this season will still be their worst in five years simply because they can win only one trophy.

Victims of their own success, and Hearts, of course.

HEARTS -- Nelson, Frail, Miller, Levein, Bett, McPherson, Hamilton, Mackay, Robertson, Millar, Hagen.

Substitutes -- Colquhoun, Thomas, Smith.

RANGERS -- Maxwell, Moore, Robertson, Gough, McLaren, Cleland, Steven, McCall, Miller, Durie, Laudrup.

Substitutes -- Brown, Durrant, Thomson.

Referee -- W Young (Clarkston).

Taken from the Herald

<-Page <-Team Mon 20 Feb 1995 Hearts 4 Rangers 2 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |