London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2002-03--> All for 20020831
<-Page <-Team Sat 31 Aug 2002 Hearts 1 Kilmarnock 1 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Sporting Life ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Craig Levein <-auth Lisa Gray auth-> David Somers
[K Boyd 44] Sean Hessey
1 of 001 Paul McMullan 31 L SPL H

Hearts 1 Kilmarnock 1

By Lisa Gray, PA Sport

Former Hearts manager Jim Jefferies saw his 10-man Kilmarnock side hold on for a deserved point on his return to Tynecastle.

The home side took the lead in the 31st minute through young left-back Paul McMullan with a tremendous drive.

But Killie's task looked even more difficult when Sean Hessey was shown the red card just seven minutes later for an elbow on Jean-Louis Valois - the fourth Rugby Park player to be sent off this season.

But Killie levelled through striker Kris Boyd on the stroke of half-time and managed to deny Hearts throughout the second half.

Jefferies' return also brought a return to the capital city for Gary Locke and Steve Fulton, who were in the starting line-up and Gary McSwegan on the bench.

Phil Stamp made his home debut for Hearts and provided a great ball through the middle to Graham Weir early in the game but, before he could pull the trigger, Kilmarnock keeper Gordon Marshall had pounced off his line and cleared the ball to safety.

Mark de Vries had sensationally opened his goalscoring account on his own home debut and he tried to help Stamp do the same.

He played the ball on to the former Middlesbrough midfielder who unleashed his shot from inside the 18-yard box but the effort was wide.

There was concern for Hearts, however, after 26 minutes when De Vries was involved in a clash with Hessey.

The big striker appeared to take a blow to the throat and had to receive treatment but was able to continue.

Hearts had dominated most of the game and their pressure eventually paid off when they opened the scoring after 30 minutes.

The Killie defence had managed to clear Steven Boyack's corner but the ball fell kindly to McMullan and he left Marshall helpless when he drove the ball into the top corner of the net from 25 yards.

The game took another turn for the worse for Kilmarnock when they found themselves down to 10 men after 37 minutes.

Referee David Somers showed Hessey a straight red after the Killie defender appeared to raise his arm to Valois in an off-the-ball incident.

But Killie recovered and managed to force themselves back into the game when they levelled on the half-time whistle.

Marshall's goal-kick was met by Craig Dargo and he played the ball into the path of Boyd.

The teenager rounded Hearts goalkeeper Roddy McKenzie before rolling the ball into the back of the net.

Kilmarnock were obviously boosted by the goal shortly before the break and they were threatening within a minute of the re-start.

Fulton looked keen to grab a goal against his former side but drove the ball just over the crossbar instead.

Hearts could have reclaimed their lead after 59 minutes.

Valois played the ball through the Scott Severin, just inside the six-yard box, and he looked certain to net but Marshall did well to dive low and block the shot.

The Tynecastle side were starting to come into the game more and Marshall was called upon to keep the scoreline level once again after 66 minutes.

This time Alan Maybury provided the cross from the right which was met by Boyack who thundered a shot at goal but was denied by the Killie goalkeeper who managed to hold the effort.

Kevin McKenna should have grabbed Hearts' second goal after 74 minutes when he rose to meet Boyack's corner only to direct the header just inches wide of the post.

If that was close, Hearts couldn't believe their luck just seconds later.

De Vries thought he had netted his seventh goal of the season when he sent the ball past Marshall from close range but substitute Peter Canero produced an amazing diving header to clear the ball off the line.

McKenna had another chance from a Valois corner but this time he was denied by Freddie Dindeleux's clearance on the line with just three minutes remaining.


Hearts McKenzie, Maybury, Pressley, McKenna, McMullan, Boyack (Twaddle 84), Stamp, Severin, Valois, Weir (Kirk 64), de Vries.

Subs Not Used: Gordon, Webster, Janczyk.

Goals: McMullan 31.

Kilmarnock Marshall, Hessey, Dindeleux, McLaughlin, Shields, Locke, Mahood, Fulton, Dargo (McSwegan 84), Boyd, McLaren (Canero 55).

Subs Not Used: Meldrum, Innes, Quitongo.

Sent Off: Hessey (38).

Booked: McLaughlin, Boyd, Dargo, Marshall, Fulton.

Goals: Boyd 45.

Att: 11,912

Ref: D Somers (Scotland).

Taken from

<-Page <-Team Sat 31 Aug 2002 Hearts 1 Kilmarnock 1 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © 2004 |