London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2004-05--> All for 20050413
<-Page <-Team Wed 13 Apr 2005 Hearts 1 Hibernian 2 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Sporting Life ------ Report Type-> Srce->
John Robertson <-auth None auth-> John Rowbotham
[G O'Connor 68] ;[D Shiels 73]
9 of 018 Lee Miller 39 L SPL H

Hearts 1 Hibernian 2

Battling Hibernian came from behind to beat local rivals Hearts 2-1 at Tynecastle in the Bank of Scotland Premier League and extend their lead in third place to four points over Aberdeen and eight points over the Gorgie men.

The impressive Jambos had taken a first-half lead when Hibs goalkeeper Simon Brown made a nightmare error to allow an innocuous Lee Miller header to slip in at his post.

The home side looked comfortable but after the interval Hibs rallied and strikes by Garry O'Connor and Dean Shiels in a five-minute period gave the Leith men their first victory at Tynecastle since 1999 and boosted their quest for a European spot next season.

It was a dramatic game which in truth, the visitors had not looked like winning early in proceedings.

The first-half started in frantic fashion and never really let up until the interval.

In the third minute Hibs skipper Ian Murray clumsily fouled Paul Hartley 25 yards from goal and it was the Jambos midfielder who tested Hibs 'keeper Brown with his curling set-piece.

In the 15th minute Murray was booked for a foul on Jambo playmaker Deividas Cesnauskis on the right hand side and from Jamie McAllister's free-kick, Brown fumbled only to see Gorgie striker Mark Burchill knock over the bar from close range.

Hearts were in control now and Burchill might have done better minutes later when he latched onto a Cesnauskis cross but the former Celtic player could only direct the ball harmlessly into Brown's hands from 10 yards out.

In the 26th minute, however, McAllister's in-swinging corner from the right was met by the soaring Miller whose header from 14 yards was going into the far corner until Hibs midfielder Antonio Murray blocked the ball on the line with Gorgie skipper Steven Pressley knocking the loose ball over the bar from close range.

In the 39th minute the home side eventually went ahead but only through an amazing error by Brown.

When McAllister's free-kick came into the penalty area Miller's header looked harmless and Brown appeared to try and shepherd the ball past the post only to look on in horror as it sneaked past him and into the net.

The home fans took a second to realise they had gone ahead whilst Brown looked shocked and inconsolable, the half-time whistle minutes later giving the visitors time to rally.

After the interval the visitors were looking to make Hearts 'keeper Craig Gordon make his first save.

That duly arrived three minutes after the restart when Easter Road hit-man Derek Riordan curled a harmless 25-yard free-kick into the arms of Scottish international.

At the other end, Burchill's smart turn and shot from distance was gathered comfortably by Brown.

In the 51st minute, as Hibs exerted their first bit of pressure in the match, Gordon pulled of a tremendous save low to his right from an Ian Murray drive which hurtled through a packed penalty area at pace.

In the 56th minute Murray was lucky to remain on the pitch after a late foul on Pressley which merited another yellow, referee John Rowbotham turning a blind eye.

On the hour mark, there was a moment of controversy when Riordan nipped in to knock the ball away from Gordon with his feet as the Hearts keeper shaped to kick the ball from his hands and then stuck the ball in the net.

As the visiting fans celebrated, Rowbotham, however, awarded the home side a free-kick.

Riordan and Murray, both on yellow cards, were quickly withdrawn by Tony Mowbray for Kevin Thomson and Amadou Konte.

Moments later at the other end, as the game came to the boil again, Brown made up a little for his first half howler when he flew to his left to beat away a powerful Hartley drive from distance.

But in the 68th minute the visitors equalised with the first hint of chaos in the Jambos defence.

Konte knocked an innocuous ball into the penalty area from the right, the Hearts defence hesitated before Jason Thomson attempted to clear but the ball only fell to O'Connor 12 yards from goal and the Scottish international knocked the ball into the empty net. Tynecastle was rocking now as the game entered its latter stages.

Then in the 73rd minute the buoyed Leithers took a sensational lead. The unmarked Konte headed a Steven Whittaker cross against the post from 10 yards out and with the home defence posted missing, Shiels followed up to slam the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

The game raged from end to end with Hearts throwing everything in attack to get the equaliser but it was to be Hibs' night.


Hearts Gordon, Thomson (McKenna 77), Webster, Pressley, Wallace (Berra 74), Cesnauskis, Hartley (Kizys 68), MacFarlane, McAllister, Miller, Burchill.

Subs Not Used: Moilanen, Wyness, Hamill, Stewart.

Booked: McAllister, MacFarlane.

Goals: Miller 40.

Hibernian Simon Brown, Whittaker, Smith, Caldwell, Ian Murray (Thomson 61), Antonio Murray, Scott Brown, Glass, Shiels (Fletcher 84), O'Connor, Riordan (Konte 61).

Subs Not Used: Alistair Brown, Hogg, Morrow, Sproule.

Booked: Ian Murray, Riordan.

Goals: O'Connor 68, Shiels 73.

Att: 17,676

Ref: J Rowbotham (Scotland).

Taken from

<-Page <-Team Wed 13 Apr 2005 Hearts 1 Hibernian 2 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © 2005 |