London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2011-12--> All for 20120318
<-Page <-Team Sun 18 Mar 2012 Hearts 2 Hibernian 0 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Hearts World ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Paulo Sergio <-auth auth-> Craig Thomson
28 of 039 Craig Beattie 28 ;Suso Santana 94L SPL H

Heart of Midlothian 2-0 Hibs

From Hearts Media at Tynecastle.

Hearts maintained their 100% derby record this season as they made it three wins out of three with a 2-0 victory over Hibs in Sunday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash at Tynecastle.

Craig Beattie, appearing in his first Edinburgh derby, opened the scoring in the first half after a fine through ball from Ian Black. The second half was a tight affair, but the Jam Tarts wrapped it up in style as Suso Santana fired home in the 94th minute.

The Jambos made two changes to the side that was held to a 2-2 Quarter Final draw against St Mirren last Saturday. With Captain Marius Zaliukas suspended, Darren Barr partnered Andy Webster the heart of defence whilst Jamie Hamill returned from suspension to replace Ryan McGowan at right back.

It was the usual frenetic start to the game as Jame MacDonald made a spectacular reflex save to deny David Wotherspoon, and although the referee had blown his whistle for a foul prior to his finish, the keeper none the less deserved credit for pushing his snap shot to safety.

Rudi Skacel then put Graham Stack to the test with a close range header, but it lacked the necessary power to trouble the Hibs keeper as both sides pushed forward during the opening stages.

An in-swinging Ian Black free kick from the left nearly found the net on 15 minutes after deflecting off a Hibs jersey. Minutes later a cross from Grainger found the head of Webster who forced a spectacular one hand save from Stack as Hearts looked to seize control of the tie.

A swift counter attack on 28 minutes could have handed the visitors the lead as Roy O'Donovan came within inches of connecting with Pa Kujabi's cross after the full back had raced down the left flank.

Hearts then took the lead immediately after thanks to a magnificent through ball from Ian Black. The playmaker obtained possession inside his own half before dispatching a pin point diagonal ball over the Hibs defence and into the path of Craig Beattie. The former Celtic striker took a touch before calmly sliding the ball past Stack to send Tynecastle into raptures.

The latter nearly added to his tally minutes later as Paul Hanlon failed to clear a Rudi Skacel cross, but his volley from 18 yards sailed over the crossbar.

Paulo Sergio was then forced into making a change shortly before the interval as Stephen Elliott came off with a back strain, paving the way for Scott Robinson to support Beattie up front.

As in the first half, Hibs started the brightest and Hearts had goal scorer Beattie to thank as he cleared a Matthew Doherty header off the line following a free kick from the left.

The visitors continued their bright start, but were unable to cause the Maroon defence any notable trouble. Hearts on the other hand were found guilty of sloppy passing in the final third, surrendering possession more frequently than in the opening 45 minutes.

Leigh Griffiths fired a free kick from 25 yards over the bar on 72 minutes as the visitors struggled to penetrate the maroon backline. Likewise, the Jam Tarts were finding it equally tough to sustain any attacking momentum in a feisty and close fought second period.

O'Donovan then looked odds on to find the net with a header on eight yards, only to be denied by the outstretched MacDonald's right boot.

Sergio made his second change of the afternoon shortly after as Black made way for Ryan McGowan as Hearts sought to protect their lead with just over ten minutes remaining.

The change appeared to be effective as Pat Fenlon's men began to run out of ideas; the Jambos growing increasingly confident with each minute that passed.

Hibs were then handed a chance shortly before the 90 minute mark as substitute Garry O'Connor lined up a free kick 20 yards out. His effort slammed into the wall, however, with Lewis Stevenson firing the rebound a yard wide of MacDonald's right post.

Skacel made way for Suso Santana in the 89th minute and the number seven proved to be an inspired substitution.

Following some late pressure from the visitors, the Spaniard was released down the left in the final minute of added time. He weaved past two defenders on the left side of the box before cooly side footing the ball across the outstretched Stack and into the far corner, sending Tynecastle into delirium and prompting a mass exodus in the away stand.

Referee Craig Thomson brought the game to a close seconds later as the Jambos made it three wins out of three against their city rivals this season.

The win was a timely boost for the Jambos ahead of Wednesday night's crucial William Hill Scottish Cup Quarter Final replay against St Mirren in Paisley.

Hearts: MacDonald; Hamill, Barr, Webster, Grainger; Taouil, Black (McGowan 78), Skacel (Suso 89), Driver; Elliott (Robinson 43), Beattie. Subs not used: Ridgers, Holt, Novikovas, Glen.

Hibs: Stack; Francomb (Doherty 9), Hanlon, McPake, Kujabi; Wotherspoon (O'Connor 60), Soares, Claros, Stevenson; O'Donovan (Doyle 78), Griffiths. Subs not used: Brown, Booth, O'Hanlon,Towell.

Referee: Craig Thomson

Top man: Darren Barr

Hearts World

<-Page <-Team Sun 18 Mar 2012 Hearts 2 Hibernian 0 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |