London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2001-02--> All for 20011226
<-Page <-Team Wed 26 Dec 2001 Dundee United 0 Hearts 2 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Sporting Life ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Craig Levein <-auth None auth-> Kevin Toner
1 of 001 Gary Wales 32 ;Ricardo Fuller 47 L SPL A

Dundee Utd 0 Hearts 2

Gary Wales and Ricardo Fuller sent happy Hearts on their way to an easy Boxing Day win over an off-colour Dundee United at Tannadice.

Loan star Fuller could have had a second-half hat-trick but good goalkeeping and bad luck left the scoreline flattering the home side.

Hearts were rocked by the loss of inspirational goalkeeper Antti Niemi, ruled out with a suspected broken finger.

Youngster Roddy McKenzie stepped in for his first start since March. Steve Fulton and Andy Webster also came into the team at the expense of injured Steven Boyack and Stephen Simmons.

United, whose undersoil heating ensured that the game was never in doubt, made just one change from last week's narrow loss at Ibrox - young striker Stephen McConalogue replacing Greek winger Anastasios Venetis.

United skipper Danny Griffin put Hearts under immediate pressure with a second-minute shot - goalkeeper McKenzie parried before trying to gather the ball on the goalline but spilled it for a fruitless corner.

Hearts fought back through Fuller, who picked up the ball midway in the United half, dribbled past three men into the box and fired a shot which was heading inside the near post before United goalkeeper Paul Gallacher just kept out.

Hearts kept up the pressure, enjoying the bulk of the possession.

Fulton won a free-kick just outside the box after Charlie Miller's rash tackle, but again Griffin made sure nothing came of the chance.

United were temporarily reduced to nine men with injuries to Griffin and Jim Paterson.

Paterson was able to limp back into play but Griffin's injury was serious enough to warrant his replacement by David Hannah after 29 minutes.

The lack of bodies seemed to spur United on and McConalogue had the best chance of the game yet on the half-hour mark.

Miller and Steven Carson combined on the left to feed the young striker inside the box and after controlling well, he produced a clever overhead kick which again had McKenzie struggling.

But it was the away side who got the goal their play deserved two minutes later.

Fuller won a free-kick on the right wing which Fulton side-footed for Alan Maybury to shoot - but a deflection caught the United defence off-guard and Wales beat the offside trap to curl in a shot into the far corner for his third of the season.

Fuller tried his luck again a minute later - but his 25-yard curling shot just missed the far post.

United had a late chance to level just before half-time but McConalogue's tame effort went well wide.

The home side made a change at the break with Jim Hamilton coming on for the ineffective Thompson.

Hamilton came straight into the play with a good run and cross which led to a McConalogue shot high into the stand.

Hearts drove home their advantage with a superbly-taken goal on 48 minutes.

Jamie McCunnie and Fuller contested a loose ball in midfield with the Jamaican front-man getting the better of the challenge wide on the left.

He picked the ball up and embarked on a mazy run through the remaining defenders and somehow threaded a low shot through the United defenders' legs for 2-0.

Just to pile on the misery for United, McConalogue's penalty claim was adjudged as diving by the referee who brandished a yellow card and two good chances for Miller did more to trouble the frozen fans than the goalkeeper.

There was only one team in it at this stage and Hearts looked capable of extending their lead further.

Even defender Kevin McKenna got in on the action with a break on the left and a curling shot to the back post which Gallacher did well to catch.

The home side weren't done though and former Tannadice skipper Steven Pressley won a caution for a bad foul on Paterson just outside the box.

Miller took the free-kick in a dangerous position but stout defending saw the danger pass.

Back came United, with McConalogue accepting a great pass from Miller on the right, winning a corner from his excellent cross.

Fuller could have easily cleared Miller's inswinger but instead he fluffed it, leaving a free shot for Craig Easton but United's rotten day continued with a woeful effort missing the target by fully five yards.

The visitors could have increased their lead at a canter with five minutes left on the clock - Fuller held the ball up well, giving time for Maybury to line up a shot which sailed into the stand.


Dundee Utd: Gallacher, McCunnie, Lauchlan, Griffin (Hannah 29), Partridge, Easton, Miller, Carson, Paterson (Venetis 73), Thompson (Hamilton 45), McConalogue.

Subs Not Used: Combe, O'Brien.

Booked: Thompson, McConalogue, Easton.

Hearts McKenzie, Maybury, McKenna, Pressley, Mahe, Webster, Flogel (Boyack 90), Gronlund, Fulton, Fuller, Wales (Kirk 79).

Subs Not Used: Gordon, McCann, Weir.

Booked: Pressley.

Goals: Wales 33, Fuller 46.

Att: 8,762

Ref: K Toner (Scotland).

Taken from

<-Page <-Team Wed 26 Dec 2001 Dundee United 0 Hearts 2 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © 2005 |