London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2001-02--> All for 20011229
<-Page <-Team Sat 29 Dec 2001 Hearts 1 Hibernian 1 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Sporting Life ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Craig Levein <-auth Ronnie Esplin auth-> Stuart Dougal
[J O'Neil 91]
1 of 002 Kevin McKenna 11 L SPL H

Hearts 1 Hibernian 1

By Ronnie Esplin, PA Sport

John O'Neil gave Hibernian a share of the points in a typically bruising Edinburgh derby with a last-gasp strike at Tynecastle.

There was little between the sides but Kevin McKenna's mis-hit shot looked as though it was going to be enough to keep all three points with the Jambos.

But, with only seconds remaining, O'Neil drove a low shot into the net through a packed penalty area to give the visitors a deserved share of the spoils.

There was the usual frantic start to the game and the play flowed from end to end with neither side gaining an obvious advantage in terms of possession.

Tynecastle hero Ricardo Fuller had a run down the left ended with a great Gary Smith intervention and Eduardo Hurtado was unlucky to be flagged offside as he ran onto a defence-splitting pass from David Zitelli.

But it was the home side who took the lead in the 10th minute following a Thomas Flogel corner on the left.

The ball was cleared but landed with Steve Fulton at the edge of the box.

The midfielder immediately headed back in to the unmarked McKenna who mis-hit his shot but watched in delight as it bounced over Hibs keeper Nick Colgan.

Easter Road defender Ulises de la Cruz ran powerfully through the home defence and slid his shot past Roddy McKenzie from close range but Maybury had raced back to clear for a corner.

Moments later, Garry O'Connor brought out a good save from McKenzie when the keeper blocked the youngster's low drive from 16 yards.

At the other end, Fuller's shot from the edge of the box went high and wide to the jeers of the travelling supporters.

The game continued at break-neck pace although most of the action was confined to midfield.

However, in the 32nd minute, the confident O'Connor had a good attempt for the visitors with an over-head kick from the edge of the Hearts box but the spectacular effort was too direct to trouble McKenzie who gathered comfortably.

Two minutes later, Fulton made himself some space at the edge of the crowded Hibs penalty area before shooting just wide of Colgan's right-hand post.

Just before the break, Flogel came close with a wonderful volley from the edge of the box after good work by Fuller on the right.

The home side were pushing for the second goal in the second period and Fulton let fly from 25 yards which went high over the bar.

Moments later, Gary Wales found himself in the same position but, although his shot was powerful and on target, it was straight at keeper Colgan who held safely.

Hibs came battling back but found the Gorgie defence disciplined and organised, repelling the Easter Road attempts at finding the equaliser.

In fact, the next goal nearly came at the other end.

In the 58th minute, Fuller set up substitute Stephen Simmons and the youngster's shot from 14 yards beat Colgan but defender Ian Murray was handily placed on the line to clear up the field.

The visitors were still in the game but needed a bit of luck in front of goal but could not get a break despite some battling performances especially from midfielders O'Neil and Grant Brebner.

The visitors brought on the lanky Derek Townsley for Zitelli as they attempted to find the spark needed to grab the elusive equaliser but still there was a midfield stalemate.

The game began to suffer from numerous stoppages for niggling fouls as both sides tired and referee Stuart Dougal had his work cut out trying to keep control.

As the minutes ticked away, Sauzee's last throw of the dice was to bring on Derek Riordan for the disappointing Hurtado and, in the 81st minute, the youngster brought out a good save from McKenzie with a 20-yard drive which the keeper did well to save at the post.

But with only seconds to go in normal time, Hibs equalised in dramatic fashion.

The ball bounced around the Hearts area and the home side failed to clear their lines with the ball breaking to the edge of the box.

O'Neil picked it up and drove a low shot into the corner giving McKenzie no chance to the delight of the visiting supporters.


Hearts: McKenzie, McKenna, Pressley, Webster, Maybury, Flogel (Simmons 52), Gronlund (Boyack 86), Fulton (Severin 85), McCann, Fuller, Wales.

Subs Not Used: Gordon, Kirk.

Booked: Simmons.

Goals: McKenna 11.

Hibernian: Colgan, De la Cruz, Smith, Murray, Orman (Jack 56), Arpinon, O'Neil, Brebner, Zitelli (Townsley 69), Hurtado (Riorodan 76), O'Connor.

Subs Not Used: Caig, Andrews.

Booked: Brebner, Jack.

Goals: O'Neil 90.

Att: 17,474

Ref: S Dougal (Scotland).

Taken from

<-Page <-Team Sat 29 Dec 2001 Hearts 1 Hibernian 1 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © 2005 |