London Hearts Supporters Club

Report Index--> 2011-12--> All for 20120421
<-Page <-Team Sat 21 Apr 2012 Hearts 0 Rangers 3 Team-> Page->
<-Srce <-Type Sun ------ Report Type-> Srce->
Paulo Sergio <-auth ANDY DEVLIN auth-> Calum Murray
[S Aluko 29] ;[A Little 35] ;[A Little 88]
6 of 016 -----L SPL H

Hearts 0 Rangers 3

From ANDY DEVLIN at Tynecastle
Published: 21st April 2012
HEARTS players went for months without wages.

Rangers stars have been handing back chunks of their pay for weeks.

Both sets of players could have chucked it long ago.

Instead, they have become PRICELESS to the clubs that have treated them so shabbily.

Gers deservedly won here — but it’s the Jambos who have a Scottish Cup Final to savour.

Incredible when you consider the hardships these stars have faced this season.

Yet none of those on the pitch at Tynecastle have moped around feeling sorry for themselves.

They have had a job to do and have got on with it.

Ally McCoist’s men effectively got that job done in 45 minutes yesterday.

Sone Aluko opened the scoring before rookie Andy Little made it 2-0 just before the break.

Little then set the seal on a fine day’s work for Gers when he completed the scoring two minutes from time.

But take nothing away from the Jambos — who missed a penalty through last week’s spot-kick hero Craig Beattie — because they gave Gers a real run for their money in the second half.

And had Beattie scored you certainly wouldn’t have bet against Hearts making it a thrilling finale.

Beattie’s semi-final heroics earned the former Celtic striker a start — in the only change to the Hearts team that stunned the Hoops at Hampden.

McCoist was without skipper Steven Davis for the trip to Tynecastle.

But former Hearts star Lee Wallace and ex-Hibs ace Steven Whittaker were bothj passed fit.

With the Jambos having booked their place in next month’s Cup Final against Hibs there was a real party atmosphere inside Tynecastle.

Beattie, whose late spot kick set up the first all-Edinburgh finale since 1896, got a huge cheer from BOTH sets of fans when his name was read out. And credit to the Gers fans too.

Despite their continued woes over 3,500 descended on Tynecastle for a match in which only pride was at stake for the Light Blues.

But given the commitment from both sets of players you would have thought the SPL title was still up for grabs.

Rudi Skacel blasted one high over for Hearts while Lee McCulloch did well to hold off Marius Zaliukas and get his shot away, and Jamie MacDonald was forced into his first save of the match.

Andy Driver then cut a clever ball back but there were no takers for Hearts.

After pulling away at the back post, Kyle Bartley should have opened the scoring on 13 minutes.

But his close-range effort was blocked by team-mate McCulloch.

Gers were playing the better football with Wallace providing width on the left.

His cross on 15 minutes was inches from the toes of McCulloch.

Rangers finally made the breakthrough on 27 minutes when they were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box.

Ref Calum Murray ruled Andy Webster had led with his arm as the stopper ploughed through the back of Mo Edu while attempting to clear.

Aluko curled a wonderful effort up and over the wall, leaving keeper MacDonald with no chance.

It was a sweet strike and no more than Gers deserved.

Hearts, given their efforts at Hampden last week, seemed well off the pace.

Beattie was isolated in attack while Gers were bossing the midfield.

On 33 minutes Edu burst clear again, this time releasing Whittaker down the right.

His cutback was directed goalwards by McCulloch, but a stunning save from MacDonald kept it out.

But Gers wouldn’t be denied that second goal, and just two minutes later they got it. Hearts failed to clear their lines once more and when Wallace played it back in Little got himself between the ball and MacDonald.

At the second attempt, the Ulsterman got just enough on it to force it home.

It wasn’t as pretty as the first, but it landed a significant blow coming just before half-time.

Not surprisingly, Paulo Sergio made a change at the break with Suso replacing Stephen Elliott.

Beattie went close with the first effort of the second half, dragging his shot just inches past Allan McGregor’s left hand post.

It was better from the Jambos who needed to get a foothold in a game they just hadn’t contested.

Sergio’s side were seeing much more of the ball, but only Beattie looked to be carrying any threat.

Gary Glen and David Templeton were introduced with 15 minutes left as Hearts sought the goal that would apply some pressure in the closing stages.

McGregor had to be alert to turn a stunning 25-yard Skacel effort past the post as Hearts threw everything they had at the visitors.

Then the Jambos were thrown a lifeline when ref Murray awarded them a penalty.

And there were no complaints either as Aluko clearly caught Templeton with his trailing leg. Up stepped Beattie, but unlike last week this time he saw his effort clatter back off the crossbar.

But there was still time for another goal and it was Gers who got it on 88 minutes.

Whittaker laid it on a plate for Little who rolled the ball into an empty net to continue his fine form.

An impressive win for Gers who will go into next week’s Old Firm clash confident they can get their third SPL win over Celtic this season.


<-Page <-Team Sat 21 Apr 2012 Hearts 0 Rangers 3 Team-> Page->
| Home | Contact Us | Credits | © |